Dr.Shalini R. Urs Experience
- · Teaching at the Post Graduate Level at the University of Mysore for the last 28 years (Since 1976).
- ·Fulbright Scholar and Visiting Professor at Virginia Tech, USA August 2000-Feb 2001.
- · Visiting Professor, DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore, November –December 1999.
- · Visiting Professor, DRTC, Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore, October–December 1998.
- Area of specialization and expertise
- ·Information Technology Applications; Electronic Publishing, Electronic Theses and Dissertations, Digital Libraries; Metadata, & Library Automation.
ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES AND ACHIEVEMENTS – INTERNATIONAL
A. Programs Organized
- ·Organiser, Interactive Workshop, and Planning Meeting on E-Book, Hotel Atria, Bangalore, September 16-17, 2004.
- ·Team Leader & Coordinator, Indian Delegation to Seventh International Conference on Electronic Theses and Dissertations, (ETD 2004), organized by the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD), University of Kentucky, USA, June 3-5, 2004; and Workshop on International Collaborations in Digital Libraries – the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2004), sponsored by the Association of Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Computer Society and others, being held at Tucson, Arizona, USA, June 7-11, 2004. Travel Grants procured from The Ford Foundation.
- ·Organizer and Coordinator – India, Indo-US Workshop on Open Digital Libraries and Interoperability, Hotel Holiday Inn, Arlington at Ballston, Arlington, VA, USA, Sponsored by Indo-US Science & Technology Forum, New Delhi, and Internet Technology Innovation Center (Virginia, USA), Organized by Virginia Tech and Old Dominion University (in USA) and by Indian Institute of Science and University of Mysore (in India), June 23-25, 2003.
- ·Program Chair, The 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2001), the biggest ever Digital Library Conference in the world with 600 delegates from 18 countries.- December 10-12, 2001.
- ·UNESCO-NISSAT-University of Mysore. Workshop on Creation and Management of Digital Resources, June 18-22, 2001.
Also Read: What is Vidyanidhi and Mission And Vision
B. Invited Speakers / Resource Person / Participant
- Invited Speaker, Asian Library and Information Conference (ALIC), Co-organized by the Thai Library Association, Asia Library News, Informedia Asia Limited, and funded by UNESCO, IFLA, Bangkok, Thailand, November 21-24, 2004.
- Keynote Speaker and Facilitator, Second Session of the Asia Pacific Information Network (APIN) Conference, jointly organised by UNESCO, New Delhi and INSTIC Beijing, China, October 21-23, 2004.
- Invited Speaker, Second China Digital Library Conference, Beijing, Organised by the National Library of China, Beijing, September 6-8, 2004.
- Keynote Speaker, National Conference on Library and Information Services, 44th Annual General Meeting of the Sri Lanka Library Association, June 24-25, 2004.
- Participated in the Microsoft Academia Summit, April 14-15, 2004, Bangalore.
- Invited Speaker, Conference on “Library Management in the 21st Century” on “Fostering and supporting Creativity through Digital Libraries ” organized by the Ateneo De Manila University, Manila, Philippines, March 29-30, 2004.
- Invited Speaker, International Conference on National Library Services (ICONLIS), ‘Digital Handling of National Library Collections’ on ‘Fossiilising for the future: scoping the vote of National Librarian in the digital domain” Kolkatta, India, March 15-16, 2004.
- Invited Speaker and Session Chair, International Conference on Digital Libraries, International Conference on Digital Libraries, ICDL 2004, New Delhi, February 24-27, 2004.
- Invited Speaker, Database of African Theses and Dissertations (DATAD) Workshop on African Theses and Dissertations, “Vidyanidhi: A model for institutional collaboration”, Organized by Association of African Studies; Accra, Ghana, Feb 19-20, 2004.
- Invited Speaker, Ministry of Information Technology, Govt. of India – 2nd Asia IT Ministers Summit, on “Standardisation, Interoperability and Unicode: A Digital Library Perspective”, Hyderabad, January 12-13, 2004.
- Invited Keynote Speaker, on “Challenges of developing a multi-institutional and multilingual digital Library: A case of Vidyanidhi” at the 6th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries, (ICADL 2003), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, December 8-11, 2003.
- Invited Speaker, Congress of South-East Asian Librarian (CONSAL) XII Conference, 2003: Information Resources Empowerment: Enhancing Knowledge Heritage, on ‘Copyrights and Libraries: Balancing the Rights of Stakeholders’, on “Copyrights, academic research and Libraries: balancing the rights of stakeholders in the digital age”, organized by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka, Brunei Darussalam and supported by the CONSAL Secretariat, Singapore, Brunei Darussalam, October 19-23, 2003.
- Invited Speaker and Panelist for the Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD) –2003 Conference, “A multilingual multi-script database of Indian theses – Implementation of Unicode at Vidyanidhi”, Humboldt University, Berlin, May 20-24, 2003.
- Invited talk at the Integrated Publication and Information Systems Institute (IPSI), Fraunhofer, Germany on “Challenges and Opportunities of implementing Unicode to Indian languages and scripts: Vidyanidhi Digital Library Experience”, IPSI, Germany, May 19, 2003.
- Participated in the 2003 Planning Meeting of Council of South Asia Library Centres based at the University of Chicago, USA, Kandy, Sri Lanka, May 6-7 2003.
- Session Chair and Paper presentation on “Multi Script Database of Indic languages: Unicode implementation at Vidyanidhi”, at the 5th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2002), Singapore, December 11-14, 2002.
- Presented a paper entitled “Unicode for encoding Indian Language Databases- A case study of Kannada and Hindi scripts”, at Twenty-second International Unicode Conference, San Jose, California. USA, September 9- 13, 2002.
- Participant, COLIS–4, The 4th International Conference on Conceptualization in Library and Information Science, University of Washington, Seattle, July 20 – 24, 2002, USA.
- Presented a Paper entitled “Redefining, reinventing and repositioning Professionals and digital libraries in new information landscape” at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2002), Portland, Oregon, USA, July 14-18, 2002
- Invited Luncheon speaker at the NSF – DLI 2 Principal Investigators meeting held in conjunction with the ACM-IEEE Joint Conference of Digital Libraries, Portland, Oregon, USA, organized by National Science Foundation, USA, July 14-18, 2002.
- Invited Resource Person for the Sub Regional Workshop on defining a Marketing Campaign For UNAL (UNESCO Network of Associated Libraries) on “Impact of ICTs in National Library Development in developing countries: Challenges and Opportunities”, organized by UNESCO and National Library of Malaysia, Melaka, Malaysia, October 17-19, 2001.
- Invited to conduct a Workshop on Metadata at the National Library of Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur, Organised by UNESCO and National Library of Malaysia, Melaka, Malaysia, October 15-16, 2001.
- Invited speaker at the Korean National Commission for UNESCO – International Symposium on “Language in Cyberspace” Seoul, Korea, on “Indian Languages: Resources and Unicode”, September 26-27, 2001
- Participated and presented a paper at the 8th ISSI Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, Sydney, Australia, July 16-20, 2001
- Invited speaker at the ICLISE 2001- International Conference for LIS educators in the Asia and Pacific region, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Organised by IFLA, June 11-12, 2001.
- Invited as Plenary Speaker at the ETD 2001- International Symposium of Electronic Theses and Dissertations, California Institute of Technology, USA March 21-23, 2001
- Participated in the NSF Workshop on “Expanding the IDM Research Education Community”, Organised by Virginia Tech and Sponsored by NSF, October 2000.
- Invited as Panelist at the 3rd International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2000), Seoul, Korea, December 6-9, 2000.
- Invited as Panelist at the ASIS & T Annual Conference, Chicago, USA November 11-14, 2000.
- Participated at the US-Korea Joint Workshop on Digital Libraries, San Diego, USA, Organised by Virginia Tech and San Diego Super Computer Centre, Funded by NSF, August 9-10, 2000.
- Invited as an expert at the UNESCO Workshop on Electronic Dissemination of Theses, UNESCO, Paris, France, September 26-27, 1999.
- Presented a paper at the 5th ISSI International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, Chicago, USA, June 1995.
- Underwent a Short-term Training Programme at the International Graduate Summer School, College of Librarianship, Wales, UK, July 1981-August 1981.
- Underwent an On-the-job training – DIALOG Online searching experience, at ICT, Prime Ministers Office, Tel Aviv, Israel, April 1979-June 1979.