Understanding Informal Letter Format – Before we go into the format of an informal letter, it’s important to grasp what an informal letter is. An informal letter is written without the use of formal language. A friendly letter, also known as an informal letter, is a personal letter addressed to friends or family members. It’s written in an intimate tone. You can send it to anyone who has a non-professional relation with you, such as business partners and coworkers.
There are fewer format constraints for informal letters than it does for commercial or formal letters. The letter may be used for several objectives, including delivering messages, breaking news, providing advice, congratulating the recipient, and requesting information, among others. It’s a letter written to a friend, sibling, parent, or other close relatives. It’s permissible to be friendly and use a personal or emotional tone in an informal letter.
There is quite a reference for a Formal Letter so far. Let us now understand how it is different from a Formal Letter.
Format for Informal Letter-
Informal letters don’t have a specific format. However, there is a basic pattern, or set of rules, that most individuals adhere to. This pattern, as well as some advice on how to create successful and appealing casual letters, will be discussed. Although there are no hard and fast rules, they can be utilized as guidelines when drafting a letter. The format listed below should be followed while the letter writing so that it seems appealing to the receiver. When writing a letter, these rules are often followed.
- Address –The sender’s address should be written first. This is written in the upper left corner of the page and acts as the letter’s beginning. It is required that you provide your entire address as well as your pin code. Even if it is an informal letter to friends and family, it is necessary to include the whole address so that the recipient may respond. If you’re writing a letter to someone who lives outside the nation, don’t forget to include the country’s name.
- Date –Below the address, the date, i.e. the date on which the letter was written, must be written. The date on which the letter was written will be known to the recipient. The date should be extended as much as feasible.
- Greeting – You may use a more casual greeting now that you know who you’re writing to. If you’re talking to a friend or someone your age, use their first name, such as “Dear Peter.” If you’re writing to a relative, such as your mother, father, uncle, aunt, or cousin, you might address them as such, like “Dear Mom.” You can address an elderly citizen or someone you admire as Mr. or Mrs. if you’re writing to them. “Dear Mrs. Parikh,” for example, maybe the salutation in a congratulatory letter to your professor.
- Introductory Paragraph- After that, you’ll begin composing the letter itself. An introduction should be the opening paragraph of your letter. This will establish the tone for the rest of the letter. Begin the letter by inquiring about the health of the recipient. Likewise, you might write, “I hope you are well.” This is the letter’s first stage.
- Body of the Letter- The letter’s tone should be friendly throughout. However, you’ll need to modify the language and phrasing depending on who you’re writing to. When you’re with a buddy, you may be casual and even sarcastic. However, while writing to an older relative, you must be respectful and polite. To assist you to set the tone of your letter, think about how you spoke to the person in a discussion. Then apply the same grammar and sentiments in your letter.
- Conclusion – Summarize the purpose for drafting the letter in the last paragraph. Give the reader a sincere farewell. Also, don’t forget to remind the reader to reply in writing to your letter. It indicates that the individual wants to continue the conversation.
- Signature – There isn’t a single method to end a casual letter. You may sign off as you like because they don’t follow a specific structure. You can sign off using some common phrases like Kind regards, Lots of love, Best wishes, etc. Choose a greeting that is appropriate for the situation and sign your name below that.
For official reasons, such as doing business, formal letters are expected and extensively utilized. Using them to communicate with friends and family, however, is not widely acknowledged. In comparison, informal letters may not automatically reflect a lack of decorum. In such letters, a more casual and natural style of discourse is utilized. Even informal letters might be held to high standards.
Just Know the difference between a formal letter and an informal letter –
The formal letter is written for a specific purpose, such as commercial or professional, whereas the informal letter is written for personal matters. It utilizes basic, easy-to-understand terminology. Informal letters, on the other hand, are written in a light or emotional tone and sent to friends and family for personal interaction.
A formal letter should be brief and to-the-point, with no irrelevant information. They are addressed to business partners, suppliers, customers, clients, and others, as well as colleges, institutes, employers, and professionals. On the other hand, an informal letter might be lengthier. We can send these letters to friends, family, and acquaintances.
You should know how to draft an informal letter now that you know what an informal letter is. You must also be familiar with the casual letter writing structure to write a flawless informal letter. So let us now understand the format to be followed for an informal letter.
|Other English Wiring Skills you might Like|
Sample or Example of Informal letter writing format
Following is an example of an Informal Letter. This informal letter example will give you a clear idea about the format-
C-16, Sharda Apartment, Near Gandhi Chowk, Mumbai-78
Date-29/09/2021 (Write today’s date)
I hope everything is going well for you. I’m sure you’re upset with me because of what happened at your birthday celebration. Please accept my sincere apologies and pardon me for the same. I don’t want our friendship to be jeopardized.
Whatever happened, I knew it wasn’t right. The issue is, I wasn’t in a good mood on that particular day. My exams were poor, and my mother lectured me brutally. I apologize for being so harsh towards you. I swear I’m not going to act like that again. I sincerely apologize for what I said.
Please accept my sincere apologies for any mistakes that I may have committed. Let’s meet if it’s possible! I really look forward to hearing from you!
Lots of love,