About Professor Dr.Shalini R.Urs
Director, Vidyanidhi –Digital Library Project ( In Past)
Department of Library and Information Science
University of Mysore
Qualifiactions : B.Sc., M.Lib.Sc., PGDCA, Ph.D
• Teaching at the Post Graduate Level at the University of Mysore for
the last 27 years (Since 1976).
• Area and specialization and expertise:
• Information Technologies and Digital Libraries
• Electronic Theses and Dissertations
• Unicode and Indian Languages
Career Highlights :
Have extensive linkages with international and national agencies and experts such as:
• Unesco, Paris and New Delhi
• National Science Foundation, USA
• NDLTD (Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations), USA
• Centre for Research Libraries, Chicago, USA
• Fraunhofer Integrated Publication and Information Institute ( IPSI) Deutschland, Germany
• Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, USA
• The Ford Foundation
• OCLC, Ohio, USA
• National Library Board, Singapore
• KAIST, Korea
• DSIR, GOI
• Indo-US Science and Technology Forum- a bilateral treaty organization
• IIIT, Bangalore
• IIM, Kozhikode
• Department of IT and BT, Government of Karnataka, Bangalore
• Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
• INFLIBNET- an Inter-University Centre of UGC
• University Grants Commission(UGC)
• Coordinated and organized the Indo-US Workshop on Open Digital Libraries and Interoperability, Holiday Inn, Arlington at Ballston, VA USA, June 23-25, 2003. Supported by the Indo-US Science and Technology Forum ( http://fox.cs.vt.edu/IndoUSdl/index.htm )
• Directing the Vidyanidhi Digital Library Initiative (www.vidyanidhi.org.in)
• Organised the 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries, December 10-12, 2001 (www.icadl2001.org)
• Member, Board of Directors, Networked Digital Library of Electronic Theses and Dissertations ( NDLTD) ( www.ndltd.org)
• International Society for Scientometrics & Informetrics (ISSI)
• Indian Library Association (ILA)
• Indian Association of Special Libraries and Information Centres (IASLIC)
• Indian Association of Teachers in Library and Information Sciences
Have been able to establish linkages with IT companies and Information Companies
• Microsoft Corporation
• Sun Microsystems
• Informatics India
Projects / Events Organized and resources mobilized :
|Sl No||Event /Project||Resources Mobilized|
|1||Unesco Guidelines for digitization and e-publishing in Asian countries – sponsored by UNESCO||7,55,000.00|
|2||Vidyanidhi- Digital Library and E-Scholarship Portal, supported by The Ford Foundation, 2003-2006||77,50,000.00|
|3||Vidyanidhi- Microsoft –Unicode Implementation for Indic Scripts,2003-2004||12,50,000.00|
|4||Vidyanidhi: Indian Digital Library of Electronic Theses, an Initiative sponsored by NISSAT, Govt. of India 2000-2002||13,75,000.00|
|5||Indo-US Workshop on Open Digital Libraries and Interoperability, Holiday Inn, Arlington at Ballston, VA USA, June 23-25, 2003||37,50,000.00|
|6||4th International Conference on Asian Digital Libraries, ICADL 2001, Hotel Le Meridien, Bangalore, December 10-12, 2001||55,00,000.00|
|7||Unesco- International Guide for ETDs||5,00000.00|
|8||ISEC Automation Project 2001 – 2002||3,00,000.00|
|9||Sasyasiri: Web-enabled Multi-Media Database of Plants of Karnataka, sponsored by Govt. of Karnataka 2000 – 2002||5,00,000.00|
|10||Hyper CAL: Hypermedia based Computer-Aided Learning package, sponsored by UGC 1995 – 1998||2,40,000.00|
• Project Consultant: DATAD – African Theses and Dissertations Project: Supported by Cornnegie-Ford-Rockefeller Foundations and coordinated by Centre for Research Libraries, Chicago, USA, September 2003-June 2005
• FAO-UNESCO project on developing Learning Module on “Digitization & Digital Libraries” September 2003-March 2004
• Unesco assignment for developing guidelines for eBook – September 2003-March 2004
• Publicity Co-Chair and Program Committee Member, JCDL 2004, Tucson, Arizona USA, June 7-11,2004.
• Invited Speaker, CONSOLE XII conference October 2003, Brunei Darussalam
• Organiser and Coordinator –India, Indo-US Workshop on Open Digital Libraries and Interoperability, Hotel Holiday Inn, Arlington at Ballston, Arlington, VA, USA June 23-25, 2003, Sponsored by Indo-US S& T Forum.
• Member of the Board of Directors, Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, (NDLTD), USA
• Member, Steering Committee of the Asian Digital Libraries Forum
• Member, Programme Committee, ETD 2003 May 21-24,2003, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
• Co-Chair, ICADL 2003, December 10-12,2003 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Co-Chair, The 5th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries, Singapore, December 2002
• Participated and Presented ‘ Multilingual Multi Script Database of Indic languages: Unicode implementation at Vidyanidhi. ICADL 2002,December 11,14,2002, Singapore
• Presented a paper entitled “Unicode for encoding Indian Language Databases- A case study of Kannada and Hindi scripts, at Twenty-second International Unicode Conference, September 9- 13, 2002. San Jose, California.
• Presented a Paper entitled “ Redefining, reinventing and repositioning Professionals and digital libraries in new information landscape” at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL 2002), Portland, Oregon, USA
• Invited to be a speaker at the NSF – DLI 2 Principal Investigators meeting held in conjunction with the ACM-IEEE Joint Conference of Digital Libraries, July 14-18, 2002, Portland, Oregon, USA
• Participated in the COLIS –4, The 4th International Conference on Conceptualization in Library and Information Science, University of Washington, Seattle, USA, July 20 – 24, 2002
• Nominated as a member of Executive Board – NETWORKED DIGITAL LIBRARY OF THESES AND DISSERTATIONS (NDLTD), a global organization based at Virginia Tech. The USA spearheading Electronic Thesis and Dissertation in the world from June 2002.
• Appointed as an External Assessor, in the Department of Information and Library Science, Faculty of Computer Science & Information Technology, Universiti Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for the period of May 2002 – April 2005
• Member Program Committee: Joint Conference of Digital Libraries, July 14 – 18 2002, Portland, Oregon, USA
• Member, International Technical Committee Digital Library IT Opportunities and Challenges in the New Millennium 2002, July 9 – 11, 2002, Beijing, China.
• Chair, the 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2001) December 10-12, 2001, Bangalore, India
• Nominated as a member to the Governing Board of INFLIBNET Ahmedabad for three years, 2001-2004.
• Invited Resource Person for the Sub Regional Workshop on defining a Marketing Campaign For UNAL (UNESCO Network of Associated Libraries) organized by UNESCO and National Library of Malaysia, October
17-19,2001. Melaka, Malaysia
• Invited to conduct a Workshop on Metadata at the National Library of Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur, October 15-16, 2001.
• Invited to present a paper on “Language in Cyberspace” at the UNESCO Seminar on “Language in Cyberspace” Seoul, Korea. Sept 26th and 27th.2001
• Participated and presented a paper at the 8th ISSI Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, Sydney, Australia, July 16-20, 2001
• Invited speaker at the ICLISE 2001- International Conference for LIS educators in the Asia and Pacific region, June 11-12, 2001, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
• Invited as Plenary Speaker at the ETD 2001- International Symposium of Electronic Theses and Dissertations, California Institute of Technology, USA March 21-23, 2001
• Invited as Panelist at the 3rd International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2000) December 6-9, 2000, Seoul, Korea
• Invited as Panelist at the ASIS & T Annual Conference, Chicago, USA November 11-14, 2000.
• Fulbright Scholar and Visiting Professor, Virginia Tech, USA August 2000-Feb 2001
• Coordinator, UNESCO project on “ International Guide for Electronic Theses and Dissertations” 2000-2001, UNESCO, Paris, France.
• Invited as an expert at the UNESCO Workshop on Electronic Dissemination of Theses, UNESCO, Paris, France, September 26-27, 1999
• Member, Steering Committee, Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations, USA, 2000-2002
• Organised four Workshops on ‘Digital Libraries’ in association with UNESCO, NISSAT, USEFI in 2001.
• Presented a paper at the 5th ISSI International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, June 1995, Chicago, USA
• Invited and served as a member of the High Power Planning Committee, Dept. of Public Libraries, Government of Karnataka, 1995-1998
• Invited Speaker/ Faculty at many National level Workshops and Seminars.
Also Read: What is Vidyanidhi
Published more than 60 papers in journals and conferences
A Select list (recent ones):
• A report on the 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries. Library Hi Tech News Volume 19, No 3, 2002. Published by ASLIB and IMI
• Compiled the Tutorial Volume of the 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2001) December 10-12,2001
• Edited the Conference Papers Volume of 4th International Conference of Asian Digital Libraries (ICADL 2001) December 10-12,2001.
• Coauthored with Edward A Fox,a Review paper on “Digital Libraries” Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, edited by Blaise Cronin, published by the American Society for Information Science and Technology Volume 36,2002
• Coauthored with K.S.Raghavan a paper: “Vidyanidhi: Indian Digital Library of Electronic Theses’ Communications of the Association of Computing Machinery, May 2001 ( International)
• Co-authored with Edward A Fox National Commission of Libraries and Information Sciences, USA White paper on ‘Digital Libraries’ 2001( US Govt. White paper)
• Editing with Edward A Fox, and others ‘Source Book on Electronic Theses and Dissertations’ to be published by Marcel Dekker, US.(International)
• Editing with Edward Fox the UNESCO International Guide on ETDs. UNESCO, 2001 (International)
This May be a Very Old Date about Professor Dr.Shalini R.UrsThis article is only for Education Purpose Only You may Contact us if you find any errors in this article