Amazon Quiz Answers Today
How Vidyanidhi Was Started
- Vidyanidhi began as a pilot project in the year 2000 with support from NISSAT, DSIR, Govt. of India and demonstrated the feasibility of the e-Theses program in India. With support from the Ford Foundation and also from Microsoft India, Vidyanidhi is evolving as a National Initiative.
- The Ford Foundation support is specifically for focusing on doctoral theses in Social and Human Sciences.
- The Microsoft support is for the implementation of Unicode for Indian Languages.
- Vidyanidhi is a member of the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD), http://www.ndltd.org, a global initiative with more than 170 members from different countries of the world.
- Vidyanidhi is also part of UNESCO (http://www.unesco.org/webworld/etd and http://etdguide.org ) efforts in this direction. Unesco supports ETD initiatives worldwide.
- To evolve as a National repository and a collaborative consortium of participating universities and academic institutions.
- To evolve as an online resource and a technical mechanism for the creation, submission, archiving, and accessing of Indian theses.
- Develop a repository for Indian doctoral theses.
- Digitize, archive and improve access to doctoral theses in India,
- Make theses available online (as per the restrictions desired by the Doctoral Students) and help enhance the visibility of Indian Doctoral Research,
- Offer tools and resources to strengthen and augment the research capacities of doctoral students and universities,
- Enhance the quality of doctoral research in India by developing and using standard formats and templates,
- Mould ‘best practices’ in scholarship and scholarly writing among students,
- Prepare the doctoral students in e-publishing, e-scholarship, and digital libraries by offering training programs and online tutorials.
Join Vidyanidhi – Benefits to Universities:
- Digitize your theses collection following a mutually agreed workflow.
- Archive your theses collection according to global standards and specifications.
- Catalog your theses collection and integrate the same with Vidyanidhi’s Indian Theses Database.
- One copy of each thesis of your University in electronic/CD format will be given to your university and in addition, your students and faculty can have access to the same online at our website (…[email protected]).
- Train your students in e-thesis preparation and digital libraries.
- Offer access to many resources and tools- such as RefWorks- software for managing references for preparing a bibliography for theses and research papers.
- Offer templates and samples for the writing of a thesis – so that these conform to standard practices.
- Offer a variety of options with respect to access to theses, which is defined by the concerned University/Doctoral students/Guides. The options include:
- Offer all the above at no financial burden to your university.
In return, the partnering university has to facilitate the following
- Sign a Memorandum of Understanding with Vidyanidhi,
- Require to submit Electronic version of Thesis along with the print version and incorporate the same in the Ph.D. rules and regulations of the University,
- Follow a small number of mandatory standards with reference to formats and other aspects of theses,
- Identify and designate an official/faculty of the university to be the coordinator for this collaborative project,
- Facilitate the retrospective conversion of theses by providing access to your theses collection,
- Facilitate the cataloging of your thesis collection by the Vidyanidhi team,
- Identify and select doctoral research students for participation in the training program
Ph.D Students: An inviting opportunity
Every registered Ph.D student can register in Vidyanidhi to benefit from the services and facilities offered by Vidyanidhi.
- Vidyanidhi welcomes you to fill out our metadata input templates and get included in our database.
- Vidyanidhi will enable students to deposit their theses and archive them from anywhere, anytime.
- Vidyanidhi is your publishing partner.
- You do not have to physically carry your thesis wherever you go you can just access it anytime from anywhere.
- Your theses will be available for access and use by future researchers, generations after generations.
- Copyrights of these rest with the authors of theses.
- Students are free to publish their theses.
- The University/doctoral students/Guides can define the restrictions of access to their theses.
- Vidyanidhi will honor the wishes of the students/advisers regarding any restrictions that they may have regarding the level of access to their theses.
Vidyanidhi is currently involved in developing the following content
- Indian Theses Database
- Indian ETD collection
- Indian Universities
- Experts Database
- Tools and Resources
Facilities in development
- Manuals, ToolKits for Theses creation
- Self-Archiving and Publishing Tools
- Free access to software for managing bibliographies and references.